Monday, October 4, 2010

Raw Meaty Bones - Not For The Squeamish



IF you are bothered by the sight of blood, and the thought of handling raw meat turns your stomach, raw feeding may not be for you.  Even if you can face a couple of raw chicken wings without gagging, can you manage a 40# box of half thawed chicken backs that need to be rebagged and refrozen in smaller portions?  There's a certain amount of grunge work involved in feeding raw!  If you are feeding more than one dog, you will probably end up buying the food in bulk, and SOMEONE will have to do the repackaging. 

We all have our own comfort levels in dealing with such things.  I readily admit to having a box of disposable plastic gloves sitting by the sink.  I use them whenever I handle raw chicken parts, and yes, a lot of my friends tease me about it. But hey, I truly don't like chicken fat under my nails.   It's not the blood that bothers me, just the way chicken backs FEEL.

OTOH, I can't remember the last time I washed a dog dish.  When we first started feeding raw, the dog dishes got washed in hot soapy water every night, but what was the point?  By the time Josie gets done cleaning everyone's dish, not a morsel or drop of raw food remains - and if the dogs were eating raw meaty bones, the food only stayed in the bowl long enough for me to put it in a crate.  I wipe off each dog's face with a paper towel when it's finished eating - if I remember, but that's not a big deal to me, and I don't cringe if a meat eating dog gives me a kiss and leaves dog germs.  I just don't like the feel of raw chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post your comments, being aware that all comments are moderated.